Wednesday, December 2, 2015

DECEMBER!!!! SNOW... oh wait I´m in Santiago....

It was a wonderful, fantastic Thanksgiving week!! Very productive and positive. I am grateful that I could spend it here! But I am excited for the next one too!:) haha 


For Thanksgiving I decided it wouldn`t be very correct if we didn`t eat pies! So since we had our district class the day after Thanksgiving I decided to make our mini zone (since half of our zone meets in another church) some pies!! Haha surprise I´m sure, right? I decided to attempt to make a pumpkin pie out of a type of squash that is found here. I was very very skeptical since it is not a sweet squash but I decided to go ahead and do it anyways! Out of the pies I did make, it was the most popular to my surprise!! Other than the ¨pumpkin¨ pie I made a also summed up enough courage to try making a lemon meringue for the first time! It was a good first attempt and was pretty tasty as well. The third I made was a chocolate french silk. It kinda flopped since I used a bad kind of butter and got all seperated but had a good flavor everyone said! Haha and also with the rolos that Kui sent me I made some chocolate rolo cookies. When I ran out of rolos to put in the middle I decided to try filling them with peanut butter. They turned out like Reese`s but in cookie form! I definitely recommend it. All in all it was an awesome district class and we had some fun celebrating Turkey day in Chile. 

The week itself also went well but we now have a new ¨rule¨ for lack of better terms. Before the new ¨rule¨ we as Elders could go into the house with a woman alone if the door was open and people could see us and hear us from outside. Which was good and was working well for us because almost all the people we visit in the afternoon from 3 to 7ish are women who are alone. Now that doesn`t fly. It`s now not accepted. That made this last week a little difficult. But now we just have to find members who can come with us so that we aren`t alone and we can keep teaching! Some Sisters from our ward who know the ward better gave us a list of young men and men that can accompany us during the day. It was very sweet of them and hopefully we can get some help now!

I also want everyone to be especially nice the missionaries when you see them this Christmas season! Invite them to your family home evenings, invite them to eat dinner with you, invite them to go shovel snow or some sort of service project, help them and make them feel at home! They are far from their families and it`s just awesome when a wonderful family invites us to go eat with them or something so do it. Please. The missionaries are great:)

So I´ve learned and studied quite a few things this week and would like to share a couple! This last Monday we had a reunion with one of the Area Seventy (which is why P-day is today. This is way off subject but we rounded up a bunch of missionaries and went and played soccer on a full field and I am destroyed. I played for the like 50 minutes and I am so dead. I think tomorrow will be worse..) and we learned a lot in the conference but I would like to share a little from what I learned their and some of my personal studies.


First of all we are going to go to Ether 2 in Ether the Jaredites are commanded to build ships or ¨barges¨ (verse 16) so they do and in verse 17 it explains how they were built. Let`s take a look at what it says, 

¨And they were built after a manner that they were exceedingly tight, even that they would hold water like unto a dish; and the bottom thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the sides thereof were tight like unto a dish; and the ends thereof were peaked; and the top thereof was tight like unto a dish; and the length thereof was the length of a tree; and the door thereof, when it was shut, was tight like unto a dish

What was repeated? ¨like unto a dish¨ right? Five times. So why is this so important? There is something very important we can learn from this. We learn that they obeyed with EXACT obedience to what the lord had commanded. They built them with a PERFECT adherence to the Lord`s instructions. That is the key. They weren`t an inch too big or an inch too small. They were built precisely how God wanted them to be built (verse 18). Now we are going to jump a little bit in the story to Ether 6:6-7 and it says,

¨And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind. And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters.¨

So we see here that 1) it was important that their ships were built like a dish because then the water could not enter. That`s correct but there is something more. We see here 2) that ¨they did cry unto the Lord¨ and the Lord helped. They could cry unto the Lord and say, ¨Heavenly Father we built these ships EXACTLY how you directed, we did everything you said and obeyed perfectly. Please help us. Please save us.¨ And he did. Of course he did. When they were in a time of need they could reclaim protection from our Heavenly Father because they had done everything in their power berforehand. Heavenly Father has made a promise when we do what He says, it is found in D&C 82:10, ¨I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.¨ When we obey his laws and commandments we have the right to reclaim the blessings we deserve and need. He even tells us that`s how it is. 

¨Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed;for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.¨ When we do all that we know is right, He will be there to bring us out of the water like he did with the Jaredites. By being obedient ¨the peace of God, which passeth all understanding¨ (Philippians 4:7) will be ours. We will have peace because we will know that we will be okay and that He will not abandon us. I know that by obeying now we will be able to reclaim divine help when we are in desperate need and it will come.

Chaito:)
Elder Gunnell
 The squash that I used as pumpkin and the three pies I made! The lemon meringue looks a little funny because I took it out of the oven and cooled it right away. I knew it was going to happen but it was necessary given the circumstances so oh well!
 my mini zone

 Graffiti





No comments:

Post a Comment